Facts about Falls
Reducing Falls: Why is it important to make homes safer?
With about 50% of falls occurring in and around the home, home safety is an important issue for
older adults. The included statistics can be used to help portray the importance of the campaign
messages. (Falls Prevention Model of Care, Department of Health WA, 2014)
Where do falls occur?
- 8.2% of all falls occur outdoors
- 50% of falls occur within an older adult’s home or immediate home
- Twice as many men as women fall outdoors.
- 5.7% occur in the bathroom
- 4.8% occur in the bedroom
- 64% of women’s falls are indoors
- 44% of men’s falls are indoors.
Does age affect falls risk?
- One in four people over the age of 60 have a fall each year
- One in three people over the age of 65 experience a fall each year.
- For advice on balance, strength and safety
Phone or email Helen Potter FACP