Osteoarthritis-Knee Self Management Program
Osteoarthritis-Knee is treatable. You don’t need to sit around and wait for a replacement joint as there is a lot you can do to help yourself.
You can self treat effectively if you uunderstand why pain is occurring, and how muscle weakness adds to pain and swelling.
A specific home based muscle strengthening can be useful for Osteoarthritis-Knee, while a gym program will improve your balance, flexibility and cardiovascular fitness.
Physiotherapy addresses pain related to underlying osteoarthritic changes or added stress related to uneven gait and limping.
Whether it is from the patello-femoral joint, the main knee joint, or more related to weakness of your hip, knee and foot muscles we can help.
- Diagnose your problem so you know exactly what is wrong
- Discover what factors you need to improve to allow treatment to be targetted
- Help ease your pain so you become less anxious
- Assist you to walk more easily and do more activity
- Teach you how to strengthen your knee and hip so that the knee joint takes less strain
- Use tape or a brace to improve your function and
- Explain how to choose a walking aid if needed
Just one or two further consultations will enable you to learn and feel confident with specific retraining exercises.
Community classes or a gym program then allow you to exercise optimally and may provide “add on” information that might be helpful.
The Arthritis and Osteoporosis Centre in Shenton Park run evening self-management courses – Osteoarthritis of the Knee Education Program (OAK)
Freedom to Move
In Touch Physiotherapy Hip Assessment and Treatment
In Touch Physiotherapy Finger and Hand Assessment and Treatment
Looking for support from others with Osteoarthritis-Knee?
Join a support group to get connected – WA Metro and Country Contact www.arthritiswa.org.au
Accurate information about osteoarthritis of the knee will empower you to make efficient choices about treatments that you find in the media or on Google.